Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 6-Twilight Zone

Howdy Y'all!  
Things are going great out here in Texas, and to tell you the truth, it really hasn't been that hot.  I don't know what everyone was freaking out about.  I actually enjoy the weather.  Anyway the missionary work is going good.  We're working hard to find some new investigators, but most of the  week was taken up with meetings all over East Texas.  We haven't had a whole lot of time to go knock doors, but when we did we saw some success.  On Friday, I think, we were just walking and knocking and the first door we knocked an old man answered and asked if we were jdubs and we said "No, we're Mormons."  So then he said ok, bye bye.  We asked hold on do you want to talk to us at all and then he said no and told us we are a cult and we're going to hell and closed the door.  So yeah, that happened!  But after that we met a family, a mom and her kids who let us in and actually listened to us.  Without interrupting or anything!  I didn't even know that was a thing that happened!  It felt good to actually teach someone for a change and to have an investigator finally!  
We were out looking for a less active member after dinner one night and so we're driving around in a kinda more run down part of the boondocks looking for the house.  When we finally found what we thought was the house, it turns out it was the wrong one but the guy in the house was still a less active member so we stayed and talked with him for a bit.  He's a real bad diabetic apparently and lives in a little shack of a house in the boonies.  He's a nice enough guy, but I think his illness is keeping him down.  He seems pretty beat down by the world.  He said he used to have money and a nicer house, but then something happened to him and he lost his wife and all kinds of stuff.  But he was still nice to us.  
Also, the guy who we were originally looking for is his neighbor and I guess he is a paranoid schizophrenic who hunts deer with his bare hands and other stuff like that which would probably scare mom if I told you all of the crazy!!I guess it's a good thing we knocked on the other guys door first! Man, I think I was sent to the Twilight Zone out here!  But, I love it out here.  The people really are kind and will usually talk to you about Christ so that's a good thing!  
I hope you guys are doing good back home.  I know I am doing good out here!  I love you all and I want you to know that the Gospel is true!
Love, Elder Murdock

Elder Moeakiola gave Elder Murdock a haircut!

Front door of our apartment

Basketball with the sisters!

Our kitchen

Family room/study area

Mission car


No comments:

Post a Comment